[Talk-at] [mechanical edit] change depreciated tag wood=* by leaf_cycle=*/leaf_type=*

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Sep 24 16:15:37 UTC 2022

mcliquid wrote:
> I would like to advance at least one idea / suggestion here as an
> alternative to an automated edit.
> Since it is actually only 323 objects, this could also be completed
> collectively in a MapRoulette Challenge.

I am not sure why you would consider turning such a straightforward
mechanical edit into a manual process. To me, this looks like manpower that
can be better used for improvements that are not as easy to automate.

> If a careful review of each object is to take place, then by using a
> regular MapRoulette Challenge.

I would not expect a random MapRoulette participant (or any other person
without local knowledge of the individual forest) to be able to do any kind
of review beyond the obvious (that the deprecated tag was indeed used and
that the correct replacement according to the simple replacement table will
be used).

> The completion of the tasks could be advertised in the new forum, so
> according to experience the completion would be done within a few days.

Vs. a few seconds for an automated edit.

> I would say this would be a lot of fun to complete

How fun is it really to do a boring replacement of a tag with another one
that could easily be done by a script?

> and we could do without an automatic edit.

I do not understand this systematic aversion to automated edits. There are
of course pitfalls to avoid, but if done correctly, an automated edit can
save a lot of tedious repetitive work. That is what automation is for.

        Kevin Kofler