[Talk-at] Road Network Improvements in Austria

Rudolf Mayer rudolf.mayer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 21:36:23 UTC 2021

Hello,

thanks for initiating contact beforehand, that's appreciated.

On 04/03/2021 10:34, Murad Vardzelyan via Talk-at wrote:
> We are going to start improving the road network in the Austria.

Honestly, I am very sceptic of (i) the need for this and (ii) whether
you can actually bring in some benefit.

I do not see that the Austrian road network is missing significant road
segments. As others pointed out, likely what is missing is tracks and
other similar roads - that I won't expect your drivers to cover, however!

Thus, I am rather afraid of what side-effects your changes might have,
if they are done in (i) an automatic manner, or by (ii) people not aware
of local conventions.

I do think that there are many other aspects where OSM in Austria could
be improved, *besides* the road network. But it seems that this is not
your focus.

Maybe you could detail where you have identified deficiencies in the
current mapping of the road network? Some examples would be great.
This would give us an idea upfront what kind of changes you think are
necessary.

Kind regards
Rudi