[Talk-at] Road Network Improvements in Austria

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Sun Mar 7 20:53:21 UTC 2021

Hi Murad,

> We are going to start improving the road network in the Austria. Project
> details can be found here:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activites/Bolt. We
> would like to get familiar with local mapping guidelines if there are any.

First of all, thanks for helping the community, contribution to OSM is
always appreciated, esp. when you have actual on-the-ground data to help
with that, as you seem to have.

Note that we don't have official "leadership" of the community in
Austria, so you get a collection of opinions of interested mappers like
myself, but usually, if there's no (heavy) opposition, that's good news
in any case. ;-)
Another slight note: The wiki page above doesn't yet state that you
contacted us, I expect that's coming soon. :)

Some other people have already commented on some specifics, in general,
you'll find that a lot of places in Austria are in a good shape, cities
better than some rural areas.
Aerial imagery from government side (usually under the name of
"basemap.at Orthofoto", "Vienna Orthofoto" or similar) is pretty good
and usable license-wise for OSM contributions, available in JSOM, and
alignment is usually pretty good on those as well.

On road classifications, as long as it doesn't end up re-classifying
everything everywhere, you are probably good (but you know how to work
in other countries as well already) - we may have some places where
classifications may have intentionally been set higher for preferred
roads and lower for roads that have officially been downgraded because
of bypasses or things like that, I'm sure you have seen those things in
other countries as well and I'm sure your mappers are trained to respect
those things already (I suspect your GPS traces will follow the bypasses
more than the intentionally-downgraded roads that sometimes may look
like "shortcuts").

You probably also know that in some cases, errors and warning are bugs
of the "validators" and not of the data (like sometimes a way is
actually ending close to another way and actually not connected even in
reality, say a footpath going up to just outside of a fence or stuff
like that), that's also not specific to Austria but may appear more
often in areas mapped with high density like some of our cities.

Otherwise, we appreciate to hear from you and/or your mappers on places
where issues arise and and are happy to help to resolve those! Also, as
has been mentioned here already, if you can provide a summary update
every now and then of what has been done, that also would be very much
appreciated - even if just because it feels good for everyone to see
that things are moving!

> Please, also, let me know if you have preferred contact channels other than
> this talk-list.

I think the list is the primary contact channel, Matrix/IRC (see
Stefan's message) often helps to get a quick answer from someone as well.

I hope we'll see some good data improvements from your work!

Cheers,
KaiRo