[Talk-at] River areas modernization

Martin Machyna machyna at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 15:06:51 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

It was suggested to me on the OSM forum to post here as well so I am
pasting my original message below:

We are working on a project that is trying to clean up and update river
data globally. In short, we look to fix errors like disconnected waterways,
overlapping water areas or waterways, correcting broken multipolygons,
fixing mistagged features, removing duplicate objects and importantly, also
moving older river tags (waterway=riverbank) to the newer more numerous
version natural=water + water=river.

More details are written up here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Waterways/River_modernization

Let me know if there are any possible issues with running the modernization
in Austria.

Cheers,
Martin