[Talk-at] Road Network Improvements in Austria

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Sun Mar 7 13:42:26 UTC 2021

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 13:34:43 +0400
Murad Vardzelyan via Talk-at <talk-at at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I’m Murad from Bolt.
>
> We are going to start improving the road network in the Austria. Project
> details can be found here:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activites/Bolt. We
> would like to get familiar with local mapping guidelines if there are any.

Hello Murad,

I cannot speak for the community on a whole (basically no one can) but
I don't think that any of the steps currently mentioned on the wiki
page require any approval by anybody. They are simply what any
reasonable mapper would do too.

Regarding the data sources including aerials in Austria: I think the
most important ones are included in JOSM anyway. The quality of some of
the non-aerial layers (e.g., basemap.at map) is varying quite a bit
through the country and especially the names shown there should not
simply be copied without good knowledge - especially street names: They
often wrongly attribute the village's name but in reality the streets
might not have a name and the name shown on the street is only used in
postal addresses instead of a street name (then the address nodes
should have an addr:place instead of an addr:street - but this is
certainly not correct everywhere). This would be the single biggest
pitfall I foresee in editing streets by "outsiders" in Austria.

I'd think there aren't be too many public drivable but unmapped streets
left within Austria. It would be nice if you could keep track of your
edits per country and regularly publish statistics/progress reports.

> Please, also, let me know if you have preferred contact channels other than
> this talk-list.

Again, nobody can tell you *a* preferred contact channel. I'd say that
this ML is the most "official" one and suitable for this kind of
announcements.

However, the community also uses the "official" forum:
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=89

And there is a matrix/irc channel too:
https://matrix.to/#/#osm-at:matrix.org and #osm-at on OFTC

If you require more specific feedback you might want to reach out there
too.