[Talk-at] Way: 357911189

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Tue Aug 6 04:10:38 UTC 2019

On 06.08.19 04:40, forster at ozonline.com.au wrote:
> Way: 357911189 renders as a lake, in reality it is a scree slope/gravel bed
> with a braided stream running through it.
>
> It is tagged waterway     riverbank. Do you have any suggestions for better
> tagging?

This should be micro-mapped from aerial images. You need to compare images
from different years to see which parts of the area are frequently changing,
and which are not.
natural=scree seems fine for most oft that area. The green parts are
certainly natural=fell. waterway=riverbank is ok on the area around  E
11.6636714 / N 47.0004158, which is covered most of the time by the varying
branches of the stream.

I have never been to that region, but in general the alpine waterways carry
a lot more water in spring and early summer due to snowmelt. You don't see
these water levels in aerial images because they are taken when the snow is
gone. So it's possible that waterway=riverbank is correct on a bigger area,
but then it should be accompanied by intermittent=yes. See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/ephemeral for ideas
how to specify the season.

The waterway=stream itself should be adapted to the latest aerial image.
This may by outdated anyway, but it's still better than what is mapped by now.