[Talk-at] Unpaved cycleways in Austria?

Markus Straub markus.straub.at at gmail.com
Sat May 16 15:41:53 UTC 2015

Hi,

another late reply :)
You are right, the tagging is a bit unclear when reading through the
examples on the Wiki page. Until now I was not aware of this
additional "usage" of oneway:bicycle. For me this was just a way to
clearly state that the road is, in one way or another, usable in both
directions for cyclists.

I am the last editor of the street you used as example and my
rationale was: when a lane is on a certain side (cycleway:right/left)
it is implicitly a oneway.
And cycleway:left=opposite_track implies that the track is a oneway
against the normal driving direction.

I am in general not sure if it's a good idea to use oneway:bicycle to
infer information regarding cycleway:*, since there could be
cycleway:left and cycleway:right - should it apply to one of them? or
both?

A clearer and less ambigous way could be to use this
(cycleway:*:oneway is slightly in use - see taginfo):
cycleway:right=lane
cycleway:right:oneway=yes (optional, a lane is by default unidirectional)
cycleway:left=track
cycleway:left:oneway=yes

It's definitely complex to handle all this information correctly, my
shot at this topic is www.radlkarte.at

Best,
Markus