[Talk-at] Unpaved cycleways in Austria?

Markus Straub markus.straub.at at gmail.com
Sun May 3 19:10:57 UTC 2015

Hi Roland,

yes, there are unpaved cycelways in Austria that have the official
signage for cyclepaths (the one for 'pure' cycleways and also those for
combined foot and cyclepaths:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:segregated). I know some examples
of mostly touristic paths along rivers, and I recently even stumbled
upon paths through a forest in Vorarlberg with this signage. Also check
for surface=gravel,.., I am sure there is more.

Regarding traffic rules: If there is a sign the rules apply: the most
important ones being that it may be used by pedestrians and cyclists and
that the accompanying road must not be used by pedestrians and cyclists
(Radwegbenützungspflicht). I guess the latter does not apply in many
cases because there just is no accompanying road as in this example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/48.29501/16.42677

In addition to that I am pretty sure that not every path with the
cycleway signed is tagged as cycleway and vice versa. E.g. all
"cycleways" on the Danube island in Vienna
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/48.25245/16.38541) are no real
cycleways - but that's their actual function.

It's complicated, but I hope this helps a bit.

Best regards,
Markus

P.S.: what's the URL of your cyclemap? I'm interested in your project!