[Talk-at] in Austria, good experience - thank you!

Michael Maier Michael.Maier at student.tugraz.at
Thu Oct 30 07:33:58 UTC 2014

On 30/10/14 01:30, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I was reviewing my notes and I noticed something in Vienna that confused
> me a little bit. It's here for example:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=48.194502890110016&mlon=16.38637661933899#map=18/48.19637/16.38655
>
> There are, in Vienna, many foot paths in places that I wouldn't expect.
> A more clear example:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/48.18925/16.37574
>
> there seems to be footpaths on a "normal" street. I'm not an OSM expert
> but this seems unusual?

Hi,

these footpaths are explicitly mapped sidewalks (or pavements in UK),
they are tagged “highway=footway” and “footway=sidewalk”. They are used
e.g. for wheelchair routing.

> See the attached screenshot: OsmAnd renders it a
> bit too red (see
> http://pinux.info/files/Screenshot_2014-10-30-00-14-45.png ).

In this case, I think OsmAnd's shouldn't render footways tagged
additionally with “footway=sidewalk” as prominently as normal footways.
But that's the case with nearly all renderers today :-/

> This is
> only in a few zones of Vienna.

Vienna is a big city, and this seem to be the 'test regions' - it will
take some years to have all sidewalks in Vienna correctly mapped.

> Regards,

Many thanks for the nice review of your Austrian experience ☺.

Best wishes,
Michael

--
Michael Maier, Student of Telematics @ Graz University of Technology