[Talk-at] in Austria, good experience - thank you!

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Nov 9 21:29:29 UTC 2014

PS:

I wrote:
> But the data is NOT correct. There are only a few crossing opportunities
> tagged for every street, but it is legal here in Austria to cross a street
> not only on a zebra crossing, but also at ANY point that's not within 25
> meters of the next zebra crossing. This cannot be sensibly tagged with the
> "crossing = footway" mapping approach that the separate sidewalk mappers
> are using.

As an example:
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search?q=Weyringergasse%2033,%20Wien

Here, there's a ~250-meter-long way without any mapped crossing. If, as a
hypothetical example, I want to go by foot from the Sri Lankan embassy to
the Restaurant Venezia right across the street, the router sends me on a
~250 meter detour all the way to Favoritenstraße and back instead of the ~25
meter segment along the abstracted street I would otherwise get.

        Kevin Kofler