[Talk-at] kittsee - semiautomated import of buildings from basemap.at

Michael Maier Michael.Maier at student.tugraz.at
Thu Dec 26 11:27:52 UTC 2013

On 26/12/13 11:01, Jozef Riha wrote:
> hello all,

Hello Jozef,

> i've been playing a bit with potrace

Impressive result - can you provide a how-to for recreating (and maybe
improving) the steps you've accomplished?

- a bitmap to vector tool trying to
> automate building shapes extraction from basemap.at <http://basemap.at>
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/AT/basemap). as this could be
> considered mass import, i would like to have austrian mapper community
> checked/approved this first. i am planning to do a few fixes here and
> there but generally i consider https://db.tt/eUm1BLmg to be ready for
> upload to osm. please let me know if it meets your quality criteria for
> imports or just share your thoughts/ideas.

I've reviewed it, but there are some flaws which (in my opinion) are
blocking the import:
* adjacent buildings do not share nodes
* no multipolygons at buildings with holes - those would have to be
created manually
* The buildings are not orthogonalized (q in JOSM)
* nodes at very obtuse angles (e.g. 88°) should be removed.

> vielen dank,

Ein großes Danke for your efforts!

> jose (greetings from slovakia)

Greetings,